Things to do in the area...
- Kayaking: The Inn is in a terrific location for kayakers who want to get to the islands and reefs of the muscle shoals channel .
- The islands in the muscle ridge channel are among the best kayaking on the coast, and the inn has great access (mostly by a 5-10 minute drive) to launch sites. Getting to the islands, once launched, requires a 2-3 mile traverse across water with some strong tidal currents, so caution/weather and tide watch is in order.
- You can launch right from the inn property, but only at half tide or better, so generally just quick paddles from there.
- The nearest all-tide launch is at the Hurricane Island/Outward Bound mainland base, which is only half a mile up Clark island road from the Inn. Every once in a while, when they have a class leaving from the site, they put out a sign saying "no launching today." Otherwise a great launch site, with parking. It shows as Wheeler Bay on the charts.
- Two other close all-tide launches are: 1) South Thomaston and 2) Tenants Harbor. 1) South Thomaston is good for all tides except the last hour of low. It puts you out in the George River, with a 30-40 minute paddle down to the coast. There is parking there, and a fine store (The Keag Store) for food. This is the closest access to Andrews, Dix, Birch, islands. 2) Tenant's harbor is a true all-tide. Puts you out west and south of the muscle ridge islands. Tenant's Harbor General Store nearby for food supplies.
- You can also launch from Port Clyde (about a 20 minute drive) and put in there (all-tide) for some very nice water on the Muscongus Bay side.